To apply to TAPIF, candidates must qualify to the following requirements.
- CITIZENSHIP: Candidates must be Canadian citizens residing in Canada or permanent resident of Canada at the time of application.
- AGE: Candidates must be between 20 and 35 years old on the start date of the program. The grant’s age limit is strict and we cannot make exceptions. We do not offer any similar programs for people not meeting the TAPIF eligibility requirements.
- EDUCATION: Be enrolled in university, having completed at least two years of university studies (by June 2017). If you are not currently enrolled in university, but have recently (within the two last years) graduated or stopped your studies you can apply if you have previous experience in teaching or a degree in education.
- BACKGROUND: Candidates must have completed the majority of their studies in Canada.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS: Proficiency in French is required (minimum B1 level on Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). A letter of recommendation attesting to the applicant’s French skills, attitude and work ethic is required (Teacher appraisal). French majors and minors are encouraged to apply. Language skills are essential to facilitating work in the classroom and integrating into a new community.
- OTHER: The selection process favors applicants who have prior experience teaching or working with children, adolescents, and/or adults. This is not required, but all applicants should demonstrate at least an interest in education. Candidates must possess the skills to promote cultural understanding between France and Canada. Previous experience living, working and/or traveling abroad is helpful in demonstrating this ability and an appreciation of other cultures.
**Not having a criminal record
Attention: You will have to provide proof of a clean criminal record to the French Embassy (between April and May) in order to secure your position as a teaching assistant if you are hired.
You must be available to start the contract on October 1st. It is not negotiable. If you are not available to start on October 1st, we will reject your candidature as an English assistant.