The Toronto Comic Arts Festival (Toronto, Canada) and the French Embassy in Canada are proud to be mounting an additional Blind Date project for 2021.
Starting in 2018, TCAF and the Ministry of Culture of Colombia launched the Blind Date project (Cita a ciegas), which aimed to connect two comic artists from both country to collaborate digitally.
In 2021 the French Embassy in Canada is joining TCAF as a second partner organization! At this time, we’re asking Canadian and French artists to submit their interest in being considered for the first ever French/Canadian Blind Date project. The selected Canadian and French artist will receive $1,500 CAD each to support the creation of their work.
The Canadian artist and French artist will jointly develop a comic art project around the theme of conversation with the expectation that they:
- Deliver a total of 10-12 pages of comic, or the webcomic equivalent, to be hosted online and formatted for digital audiences
- Meet digitally at least once every two weeks (for example through Zoom, Skype, video calling, screenshare, etc.) with ongoing correspondence between meetings
- Create some official documentation of the artistic process that can be publicly shared
- Complete and submit the final project by May 5, 2021
If you are interested in participating, please submit your application to [email protected] by April 11, 2021 at 11:59pm (EDT). We recognize the short turn around for this deadline, so we are making the application process as straightforward as possible. Please send the following three parts to [email protected] with the subject heading “Blind Date 2021 Application”
- A selected artist’s CV or bio (no longer than 2pgs) with relevant experience
- Digital portfolio of 5-7 works/images of comic art
- A short statement of interest (max. 400 words) OR a 15 minute Zoom call (let us know if you’d like to take this option and we can schedule it)
Canadian creators interested in participating in the project do not have to be exhibitors at TCAF to apply.