The Consulate General of France in Vancouver has partnered with the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies at the University of British Columbia (UBC) to bring leading French scholars to UBC in the French Scholars Lecture Series.
This program invites outstanding scholars from France to participate in an open dialogue with their Canadian counterparts. Visiting scholars will be selected from different disciplinary and research backgrounds, with nominations accepted for both senior scholars and outstanding early career faculty. Visiting scholars must hold a full-time teaching or research faculty position (Emeriti/retired faculty are not eligible). The visit will include at least one public lecture and other discussions with UBC scholars to be organized with the UBC host professor(s).
We expect to support a total of six French Scholars to visit during the spring and fall academic terms in 2019. The Consulate General of France in Vancouver will manage administration and financing, and will directly coordinate the visits with each host professor at UBC. It is expected that the visits will strengthen existing research partnerships and provide opportunities for building new research collaborations between scholars from France, UBC and, potentially, other off-campus partners.
The Consulate General of France in Vancouver will cover airfare and accommodation in Vancouver for each visiting scholar, for a period of 5-7 days, through a grant of up to 2500 Euro.
- Proven track record of academic excellence relative to career stage.
- Innovative research and potential for sustained inter-disciplinary collaboration with UBC researchers.
- Effective communication, outreach and engagement with the academic community.
- Proposal for public lecture on campus and/or in partnership with a community organization.
- November 1, 2019: Submission deadline.
- Mid-December 2019: Decision and notification of applicants.
- February 1, 2020 (or minimum of 2 months prior to date of visit): Information about scholar’s visit (short biography, photograph, lecture topic, location and date) must be provided by the UBC faculty host.
Please see detailed application form below. All fields must be completed, respecting the length limits for each field. Please submit proposals by November 29, 2019 for the 2020 Lecture Series.
French Lecture Series Call Application-2020